As we march into Spring, we managed to grab relative newcomer stylist Lesley Billington at our Guildford salon for a quick chat to find out more about this northern wall flower! Lesley has only been with us a few months, but has quickly settled in to Aveda life here and created some serious wardrobe envy to boot. Let’s find out what she’s got to say for herself…
– Tell us about your life outside MAW? e.g.hobbies / family / where are you from?
I’m originally from Yorkshire but for the past 18 yrs I’ve been extensively exploring the country and living in a lot of different places! I’m fortunate to have been able pursue my passion for hairdressing in several key locations from York, Leeds and Sheffield to Milton Keynes, Leamington Spa and now obviously to the beautiful town of Guildford! My fiancé is a professional ice hockey player so I do spend a lot of time following the game! This is why we’ve had to relocate on occasion, but we’re now really happily settled in the area and my fiance is doing really well. Two years ago we were blessed to have our beautiful daughter Afabia, who has brought more fun, love and happiness into our lives than we could ever of imagined. Needless to say, she keeps me pretty busy when I’m not at work!
– What’s your job title at Mary Ann Weeks Aveda?
– Describe in a few words what you do? As you’d expect, I pretty much cover all aspects of hairdressing from cutting and colouring, gents and restyles. I love the creative nature of the job – you never know who will turn up next!
– How long have you worked with us?
I joined the team last August so I’m still a newbie compared to some but I expect to be sticking around for a while yet!
– What are your favourite things about working with Aveda?
How natural the products are. I really love the products and colours. I love how they smell like luxurious spa products, with none of the nasty ingredients added. Now I’m a mum, the impact of the products I use on the planet are more important
– Whats your best memory of working here? How friendly and welcoming all the team are. They made me feel at ease and part of the family from day one and that’s so important when you move around a lot. If I feel comfortable I tend to find I work better too!
– Whats your ‘go to’ Aveda product and why?
Aveda thickening tonic is amazing and genuinely works wonders on thin and fine hair. It gives great body and fullness without being at all greasy or heavy. As you can imagine I’ve seen and worked with a lot of hair products, but this one really impressed me!
– If you could nominate anyone at MAW Aveda for an award for something
what would the award be and who for?
Oh definitely Lizzie! She is just always so smiley, happy and talkative. She makes me laugh every day and I can’t help but love her, so my award would be a happiness award for Lizzie!
– What do you use on your own skin?
The Aveda botanical range is great – especially the purifying creme cleanser and the toning mist because they make your skin feel refreshed and like new afterwards. Knowing they’re made from plants makes them all the better!
– What’s your top beauty hack?
I coat my hair in the ‘Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Restructuring Treatment’, wrap it up in a hot towel and leave it in to penetrate deep into my hair. I cannot tell you how amazing it feels afterwards – Soooo soft, healthy and more manageable!
– How do you like to relax after a busy day at the spa?
I know it’s a cliche, but I love a nice long soak in the bath with an Aveda deep cleansing clay mask, a large Gin and tonic listening to Otis Reading Dock of the Bay…. Making me relax just thinking about it!
Thank you Lesley! Why not book yourself in with Lesley via our online booking service, or for colour give us a call on 01483 306655? She can show off all her amazing learned skills from working at so many excellent salons – none so excellent as Mary Ann Weeks Aveda of course! Don’t forget – automatic loyalty points with every visit!