Spring is nearly here and in preparation for the new season, it’s important to remember to adjust your beauty regime for the changing weather and temperatures. Sensible choices in line with the seasons can really enhance the way your skin reacts, so considering what habits you’ve developed is key to looking your radiant best.
Rather like our wardrobe of items that we will never realistically wear again, women tend to keep makeup for far longer than is either necessary or hygienic. One report by a well-known beauty editor showed the majority of women admitted to holding on to an eyeshadow for 6 years with up to to 89% of women keeping hold of old makeup ‘just in case’.
So why is this a problem? Well, every makeup product has a recommended expiry based on different factors such as where on the face it’s used, it’s ingredients, and it’s usual performance length based on it’s exposure to air / packaging etc. Holding on to make up for too long is not hygienic, and can create a thriving breeding ground for bacteria. With products used near the eyes, this is especially risky and can cause a number of different eye infections. Old liquid foundations and concealers that have been around too long also begin to build up nasty bacteria that can lead to blocked pores, blemishes and skin infections.
Just look at the recommendations by professional makeup artists on how long you should actually be keeping hold of your makeup:
- Lipstick – 1.5 years
- Mascara – 4 months
- Eyeshadow – 1 year
- Eyeliner – 1 year
- Liquid foundation – 6 months
- Concealer – 8 months
- Blusher or Bronzer – 2 years
- Face Powder – 2 years
So want to sort this out? Check out our top tips for an overhaul and clean that beauty regime now!:
1. Firstly Aveda makeup artists recommend keeping your makeup bag and its contents tidy and clean. Broken products like powder blusher or foundation should be thrown out, pens should have lids and any brushes used for liquid products such as concealer or liquid foundation should be washed gently in soapy water and naturally dried every day. When clean, brushes are not only far more hygienic, but they perform better and apply the product more smoothly. Aveda professional flax makeup brushes are environmentally friendly with flax-infused handles and soft bristles made with non-animal fibres and give a flawless finish for all your makeup needs.
2. Keep your products updated – any time your makeup begins to smell differently or has a change in texture it’s time to swap it up. An obvious way to keep track of your makeup age is to buy the essentials new every season. A new mascara is absolutely a must and since your skin changes hue with the weather we recommend changing your liquid foundation and concealer too. Sticking with one or two eyeshadow palettes with gradient shades is a great way to cover all bases – lighter shades for daywear and deeper smoky eyes for nights out. We recommend Avedas Petal Essence Eyecolour Trio in a range of different colours to suit your tones. These petal-soft talc-free powder shadows build and blend effortlessly for long-lasting crease resistant colour… Flower waxes from Jasmine and geranium mean a soft floral aroma. Shown here in violet bloom/997
3. Treat your face as you would a canvas and tend to your skin first and foremost to get the best out of your makeup. Caring for your skin means a regular skin care routine, with great products and additional skin treatments. Daily removal of makeup and pollutants with appropriate products is vital to keep skin fresh and clear. Night time moisturisers, renewing treatments and weekly facemasks, as well as regular facials will all help to keep your skin glowing, youthful and healthy. We recommend massaging in Tulasāra Wedding Masque Overnight as your bed time skin care routine go to. Our nourish-mint renewing lip treatment for night times is also a great treat to keep your lips kissable and smooth, worn alone or over the top of your favourite lip stick.
4. Hydrate your skin by taking warm showers in the colder days rather than hot, to avoid dehydrating your skin and try a soft facial brush to get rid of debris. Stimulating your skins circulation with small circular massage is a great way to ensure dead cells are gone and your skins natural healing can take place with ease. Avedas Tulasāra offers a unique dry facial brush and is complemented with Oleation oil that helps stimulated the microcirculation, thus nourishing your skin. Also consider artificial heating – most of us will still have it turned on for Spring, so a hydrating cream like Botanical Kinetics Hydrating Rich Crème by Aveda will really help boost moisture and remove dry lines. Botanical Kinetics Hydrating Crème contains vital plant energy to stimulate hydration and recharge your skin cells for powering up the skins natural moisture system.
5. And finally do make sure your foundation is the right match for your skin tone. Spending more time inside means our complexion is a different shade and in the spring, pre any sunshine it’s important to pop in to see us at Mary Ann Weeks Avedas Walton or Guildford stores and check you’re still the right match for your concealer and foundation. We’d love to see you for your skin consultation, makeover or makeup advice or relaxing and renewing facial so browse your options on www.maryannweeks.co.uk/spa-price-lists and call us to book on Guildford 01483 306655 or Walton 01932 240856.